|San Andrés Tuxtla is a municipio (municipality or county) along the Gulf of
Mexico, in the Sierra de Los Tuxtlas, in the southeast of the state of
Veracruz, in east central Mexico.
The same named county seat is the economic and political capital of the northern Los
Tuxtlas, and traces its history to the Olmec civilization.
The county occupies most of the San Martin Tuxtla Volcano and its slopes to the Gulf
and inland rivers.
|San Andrés Tuxtla
|San Andrés Tuxtla had a population of 148,447 as of the 2005 census, including about 600 indigenous people.
The only major towns are the same named county seat with 58,757 inhabitants followed by Comoapan 4845,
Eyipantla 3683, Sihuapan 3429, Caleria 3767 and another 29 towns with more than 1000 people.
Population density is 161/km2, and growth is positive: 1995 (137,435 ), 2005 (148,447).
Illiteracy runs 23%, and on the poverty scale the municipio ranks at 1102 out of 2454.
App. 18,100 families received 148 million pesos in 2008 of "Oportunidades" welfare funds.
67.6% of employed workers earned less than 2 minimum wages in 2005.
The 2008 municipal budget was 213.4 million pesos, 1437 pesos per inhabitant.
The municipio occupies 919 km².
407 km² are dedicated to livestock, and 10,937 cattle were slaughtered in 2007.
Agriculture on 249 km² harvests mostly corn, mangos and sugar cane.
It has a 163 km road net and as of 2007, 10,338 vehicles were registered, plus 10,800 horses.
Central coordinates are 18°27′0″N 95°13′0″W and the central altitude is 300 m.
The highest elevation is Volcano San Martin Tuxtla, 1731m. The cost is 28 km long.
All of the NE of the county is part of the Biosphere Reserve of Los Tuxtlas.
Almost 69% is considered part of the Sierra de Los Tuxtlas.
|San Andrés Tuxtla is part of the
Region: Los Tuxtlas
Distrito electoral local: XXV San Andrés Tuxtla
Distrito electoral federal: XIX San Andrés Tuxtla
The municipio borders:
North: Gulf of México
South: Hueyapan and Isla
West: Angel R Cabada and Santiago Tuxtla
|The city of San Andrés Tuxtla was possibly founded by natives displaced by volcanic eruptions in 1530 and originally
named Tzacoalco. By 1830 the city was recognized as an official villa (town).
The city is now the economic and political capital of the northern Los Tuxtlas. Aside from most major banks, the city
headquarters its area's state legislator, upper judicial court and major federal and state offices. In addition the Catholic
diocese and the Mexican army maintain outposts here.
A private university and a technical and nursing college provide higher education.
The population of app. 55,000 (2005), occupies the southern lower slopes of Volcano San Martin Tuxtla, at app. 1000 feet
altitude, along the Rios Tejalate, Pipisole and Bichilapa. The terrain is extraordinarily hilly.
Interesting architectural homes from the 19th and early 20th century are still present and give the city a limited historic
charm, enhanced by its narrow undulating streets and rock strewn arroyos.
Numerous hotels cater to primarily commercial travelers, and the city abounds with restaurants. Culturally the municipio
offers a small Casa de Cultura, some religious structures dating to the 19th century and a new regional museum opened in
Touristically the city has close access to the Eyipantla waterfall, cigar factories and some difficult to find geographic
and historical jewels, such as Laguna Encantada and Maquina Viejo.
Important local celebrations center on September 16th and the release of hundreds of colorful paper balloons, and the week
long festivities to celebrate the city's patron saint, Saint Andrew, around November 29th.
|The City of San Andrés Tuxtla
|The following 50 pages are designed for residents of San Andrés Tuxtla, or those with more than a
casual interest in the area. Casual visitors are better informed to browse the Tourism pages of:
San Andrés Tuxtla
The Coast of San Andrés Tuxtla